Ponytails are pretty much everyone’s ‘go to’ hairstyle when there is minimal time to spare, but despite them being a big hit with last year’s red carpet events and set to be massively on trend for s/s 2015, don’t you find that sometime they’re just a little….well…boring?
Maybe so, for the standard ‘tie back and go’ version of this popular look, but whether you’re heading to the office, the gym or a night out there are so many super simple hacks to give your ponytail a new lease of life!
When it comes to putting a unique spin on a simple style, Aveda almost always comes up top trumps. Known for their subtle, natural looking hairstyles, they have shown us a plethora of unique twists to this classic, feminine ‘do on many a runway over the years.
Take a look at my blog below for two of my favourite Aveda ponytails from the 2014 and 2015 s/s catwalks below and how to put them together with ease. You’ll be well ahead of the curve with these nifty tricks!
To get you started, here is an incredibly simple yet beautiful twist to a regular pony – so simple in fact that you’ll even be wearing this one while you work out!
- This particular style looks great on both sleek and slightly looser ponytails, so before you begin decide where you are going with this and prep your hair accordingly.
- Start by pulling your hair back into a ponytail at the nape of your neck, as you usually would, but this time instead of securing the whole lot with an elastic, remove a nice, chunky section from each side at your temples (roughly two inch sections but this will vary depending on your hair thickness). Clip these sections out of the way and secure the remaining hair with a clear elastic into a small ponytail.
- Take the left section first and comb through to make sure it’s nice and smooth. Pull this section across the top of the base of your mini ponytail, wrap underneath and continue to wrap around the elastic in a clockwise motion until you reach the end of the length. Secure under the ponytail with a hair pin.
- For the right hand section, repeat the previous step but this time wrapping over the left section and round in an anti-clockwise motion. Secure and finish with a spritz of glossing spray.
Plaits and braids can go a LONG way to reviving a lacklustre mane and this gorgeous little pick me up does just that for your pony. Not only totally cute (yet sophisticated!), this style is full of charm and very easy to do.
- Start by brushing your hair through thoroughly to remove any bumps – this style looks best when sleek.
- Gather your hair together just above the nape of your neck as if you were putting it into a regular ponytail; from here, carefully pick out a roughly one inch section from either side and clip them up out of the way for now.
- Secure the remainder of the hair into a ponytail with an elastic, as you normally would.
- Plait both the left and right sections into basic braids; take the left plait, bring it under the ponytail, wrap it round the top and continue to wind until you have used the full length. Subtly pin this in with a hair pin of kirby grip underneath the ponytail.
- Take the right hand braid, bring it over the top and wrap it round underneath. Wind this round as with the left braid and secure into the base of the ponytail.
Do you love our quick and easy hairstyle hacks? Feel free to share our link on your website or blog to spread the word! xxx